Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Remdios Varo Inspiration

Maria de los Remedios Alicia Rodriga Vayo y Uranga was born in Parana, Argentina On December 16, 1908. She was involved on the Surrealist movement which was ruled by men back then. She was influnced by her dad who was an engineer who worked in the middle of the night with his ruler, triangle, and set square drawings dams and networks of canals. The first time I saw her work was when I was in 9th grade back in Mexico and it was in  the cover of  two of my school book, Geography and Chemestry. I saw this heart-shaped, large and lonely eye person on my book and it immediatlety brought me a glimpse of my dreams when I was a kid. I looked on the back of the book and saw her name. Instantly, I researched for all her work and as I suspected it had most of all the characters on my dreams. She was a loner, just like me. She would get all of her inspitation at night, just like me. Most of her work is based on Constellations and the Zodian and my life is pretty much based on that too.

This was the cover of my Geography book.

This other one was my Chemistry book cover.




6 comments:

  1. I have not heard of this artist. I am quite taken by her use of rich contrast in colours. I can see her mixing of Constellations as well as the dreamlike attributes of the surrealist movement in her works.

    Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alot of people have not heard of her either. She died when she was becoming a huge threat to the men involved in Surrealist movement back in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the expressions on their faces! Very intriguing. I'd like to learn more about this artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think i had that geography book, i would've never thought of the art work in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really digging this artwork, its not personally my style but still very intersting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this art work before, I just didn't know who was the artist.

    ReplyDelete